Sunday, June 18, 2006

A New Beginning

I'm too tired to be writing this. Honestly, I should be asleep - but, I do this to myself and I choose to stay awake.

I spent the majority of 3pm Thursday thru 10pm Saturday with the School of Jewish Communal Service (SJCS) of Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion (LA campus). WOW - now, that was a mouthfull!

"Thursday Fun" started at the beach with some simple 'ice breakers', a beach photo scavenger hunt, and sand sculptures, all followed by dinner at one of our classmates' homes. Friday morning was the Official Semester Kick off with the entire School of JCS, and while we spent half of Friday on campus, it was a retreat and we did go "away" for Shabbat.

There are a lot of things I took from this weekend. First, I am so happy that I have found a school that places such a great emphasis on the importance of community - hence the retreat. I had a marvelous time getting to know the rest of the students of the SJCS. I have already challenged what is comfortable for me. And, I realized at our closing program that we have already created an incredible safe space within our community.

Needless to say, I'm thrilled to spend the rest of the summer, and the better part of the next two years with these people.

1 comment:

Tattoosday said...

Welcome to the blogosphere!

BroBillyBlog